Saturday, November 15, 2014

Intel Galileo Gen 2 First Impressions


I have purchased the Intel Galileo Gen 2 board for use in some hardware projects, and it arrived last week. This board is Arduino compatible, has an x86 Intel Quark SoC, and can run OS's such as Linux or Windows IOT. Here are my first impressions.

First, a few facts about the board and the SoC contained within.

The SoC is an Intel Quark x1000. This is a 32 bit, single core/thread, x86 architecture processor. It uses the 32 nanometer 'Clanton' process. On its own to OEM's, this SoC is available for about $9.63. This Quark uses the Intel Pentium instruction set, and is clocked at 400 MHz.

The board has 256 megabytes of DDR3 RAM, and 512 kilobytes of embedded SRAM. It supports Ethernet, MicroUSB, and a MicroSD card that supports capacities of up to 32GB.

The board is also Arduino Certified, and is pin, software, and hardware compatible with Arduino Uno R3 Shields. The benefit of the Galileo is that it allows Linux firmware calls (or Windows with WinIOT).

I am excited to work with the Intel Galileo!

I ordered sensors, breadboards, wires, resistors, and other parts for the Galileo, and they should arrive by Monday. I will share the progress of my projects on both WordArray, and on my Twitter.

Purchase from Mouser for $56.25 or from Newegg for $59.99

No comments:

Post a Comment