Tuesday, December 31, 2013

What I Use- January 2014

My brother is helping me take this picture. I need a dedicated camera ^^
These are the devices I use as of the beginning of the new year: January 2014. I haven't changed my devices since about November of 2013, when I got my new laptop. See them after the break.



Main Computer- Custom built desktop- i7 Pro, 12GB RAM, Dual monitor, High end AMD graphics card, multiple drives amounting to 4TB of space, Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Unfortunately I am not at home, and don't have the exact specs in front of me. Especially for the television and drives. If I remember or am reminded, I will update this post on January 7th when I get home. If I am not, then you'll just have the updated specs in the February 2014 post.

I use this device for everything though, it being my main computer. Videos, web browsing, and especially programming. This is the computer that has Visual Studio 2010, and 2012 ultimate on it, as well as various other development tools. Seriously. It has so many programs installed, and they are all for software development. I plan on upgrading to Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate by next month, for the Windows 8.1 development support.

Portable Computer- Lenovo Carbon X1 Touch Ultrabook- Intel Core i5-3427U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz), Windows 8.1 64 bit, 14.0" MultiTouch Premium HD+ (1600x900) LED Backlit Display, 720p HD Camera. No WWAN , 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 128 GB Solid State Drive, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Webcam and Touchscreen.

Despite Haswell being released, I am not going to upgrade this until Summer of 2016, when I retire my desktop and my laptop, and just have a super laptop. This ultrabook is great, it plays games at good quality, it performs well. However, the display looks watery, possibly due to the touch, and the speakers audio quality is mediocre. Those are my only complaints with this laptop. Some people are having bugs with it's touchscreen, and trackpad, but I don't notice that. This laptop is perfect for me, as I can do tablet testing with it, and it has a trackpoint, which I really like.

Phone- HTC 8X (Windows Phone)- 1.5 GHz Dual Core Snapdragon CPU, 1GB RAM, 16 GB storage space, Windows Phone 8 Developer GDR3 on T-Mobile.

I got my phone on November 2012, the day after it was released. I am not going to upgrade it until November 2014. This is fine though, because it is still performing, and looking, just as it was when I bought it. Seeing as it was my only option to get a Windows Phone on T-Mobile until the Nokia Lumia 925 released way later, I am very happy with my purchase.

Gaming- I use two devices as my dedicated gaming consoles, if we don't count the PC, which I do game on.

1) Xbox 360 Model S- 3.2 GHz tri-core xenon CPU, 512 MB RAM, 150 GB HDD, Xbox 360 OS fully up-to-date

This is my main gaming machine, and I don't have plans to upgrade it at any point in the next three-four years. I have to say, the Xbox 360 is one of the best devices I have owned. After going from PC gaming, to console gaming, I have to say I love the ability for games on console to just work. On PC I usually spend a long time after I get a game, setting it up, and installing it. It is very nice to just get a game disk and have it work.
2) Xbox Original- 733 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM, 10GB HDD, WinNT

I seriously wish I could still call this the Xbox 1. I actually still use my Xbox Original regularly to play games such as Halo 2, and Blood Wake. I have been considering installing Linux on it, but eh. Whenever I get time.

I also have a Wii, and a Nintendo DS lite, as well as a lot of pre-2001 consoles, but I don't use those.

Tablet-
Nook Color- 4000 mAh battery, 800 MHz ARM Cortex-A8 based TI OMAP3621 (single core), 8GB internal storage, 16 GB MicroSD, 512 MB RAM, 7-inch 1024 x 600, Android 4.2.2 with Cyanogen Mod 10.1.3.2

I got this last month as my tablet, and running Android 4.2.2 as opposed to Android 2.2 feels great. It is rather slow, as you may expect, but it is definitely useable. I actually got this tablet from my mother, who no longer needed it, as she got a Nook HD +. I proceeded to install Android 4.2.2 on it, and it is great. The only change from last month, is I updated CM to 10.1.3.2, instead of 10.1.3. The two updates were minor bugfixes. I can't wait until this tablet gets Android 4.3. It is amazing how it is still being updated by CyanogenMod.


MP3 Player- Samsung Galaxy Y- Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread, 832 MHz Broadcom ARMv6 CPU (single core)(weirdly more power than my Nook), 384 MB RAM, 194 MB internal storage, 16GB Micro SD, Lion 1200 mAh battery, 240×320 pixels, 3.0 inch, 2 MP camera

This is the perfect MP3 player. It is actually the perfect size and shape for a music device. Also, with everything turned off, this device lasts literally for days. It's battery is the longest lasting battery I've ever seen. And with the 2MP camera, it is able to take pictures in an emergency. Android 2.3.6 means that it can be used for low end development, so it is multi-purpose.
I am actually using this device as I write this post. I am listening to Monochrome no Kiss, though
my song of the month has to be the Vocaloid Corrupted Flower.
Other Devices

  • Raspberry Pi Model B- 700 MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, Attached to TV, 8GB SD, RaspbianOS

  • The Raspberry Pi. I use it for testing of software, and super secret Kerinova Hardware Projects. It is great for rapid phase one proto-typing.

  • Desktop #2- Intel Pentium, 1.5GB RAM multiple drives amounting to 200 GB space, Xubuntu 13.04, custom built

  • Yeah, my low end Ubuntu Desktop is due for an upgrade. Not to the specs, I am content with it being low end, seeing as I am going to be dual booting Ubuntu on my high end desktop later. It is due for an upgrade in terms of the operating system, with Ubuntu 13.10 being out. However, due to the massive pain it was installing Ubuntu on it, I am going to wait for the next Long Term Release to upgrade it. That is sometime in April 2014.

    Software:
    • IDE: Visual Studio Ultimate 2010, and 2012
    • Art: Graphics Gale Full, Paint.NET, 3DS Max
    • Sound Effects: BFXR
    • Voice Acting: Melodyne
    • OS: So many: Ubuntu 13.04, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Windows Phone 8 GDR3, Android 2.3.5, Android 4.2.2, and more to come next month, and into 2014. Namely, I plan on getting updated Ubuntu, Updated Android, a Nexus 7 (2014), and other OS updates.
    • Web Browser: Internet Explorer 11 mainly, but IE10, Chrome, Chromium, and Firefox on my other devices.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment